Click the button above for video!
I love making this dish. It’s quick, tasty, and easy to make. It’s not too spicy but I did put a little heat and sweetness into it. When you can combine beef with vegetables, what can’t be great about that.
When the sauce coats the beef and dribbles over the vegetables and rice, that’s delicious. I know this dish is often made with just beef and broccoli but when an opportunity arises to add in more vegetables how can you go wrong with that.
I’m sure you have made a similar version of this recipe before. This is my version of this easy tasty dish. I hope you enjoy it.
‘Mongolian’ Beef with Vegetables
- Olive Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Ginger, minced
- 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- ½ cup of Soy Sauce (I use low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp of Rice or White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Water
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
- A few Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 ½ pounds of Skirt or Flank Steak, thinly sliced (or another favorite cut of Beef)
- ¼ cup Corn Starch
- ½ large Red Pepper, sliced
- ½ large Onion , thinly sliced
- 2-3 Carrots, sliced diagonally
- 1 12-16oz bag of broccoli or several stalks of broccoli roughly chopped
- 2 Green Onions, thinly sliced (garnish)
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic and ginger until just fragrant – about a minute or two – but don’t let it brown. Slowly add in Soy sauce, vinegar, water and brown sugar. Let it gently boil for about 5-7 minutes till slightly thickened. Add in Red Pepper Flakes. Let it simmer on very low.
- If not already done, prep vegetables and beef and place in separate bowls
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil and sauté vegetables starting with the carrots. Add in the onion and red pepper, add salt and pepper and cook till just soften and still has a crisp. Remove.
- In the same sauté pan, add in chopped broccoli, add salt and pepper and cook till just tender but still crisp. Remove and keep vegetables warm.
- In the bowl with the beef, add cornstarch and combine until all beef is coated.
- In the same sauté pan as the vegetables, heat oil on medium to high heat, and add the sliced beef. Sear and cook the meat for about 5-10 minutes till done. The beef does not have to be entirely cooked all the way through as it will continue to cook when combined with the sauce and vegetables.
- In the sauté pan with the beef, add in the sauce and cook till bubbly and sauce is thickened a little more. Add in the vegetables and mix in with the sauce, if desired.
- I think the beef and vegetables is best served over white or Jasmine rice.
- Serve the beef and vegetables over white rice and topped with green onions.