Click the button above for video!
Who doesn’t like potatoes? There are so many different ways to prepare them and one of them I really like is twice baked potatoes. Since it’s been awhile since I’ve made them I thought now was a good time. Whew. Glad I did because I forgot how amazingly tasty they are.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 med-large Potatoes, preferably Russet they cook the best for this
- 2-4 Tbsp Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 4-6 Bacon strips, chopped
- 2 Green Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Cheddar Cheese, shredded (some for topping)
- ¼ or more of sour cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: cream, if needed Garnish
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet. If you don’t want a crunchy skin then I would rub the potatoes with a little canola or olive oil. Bake for about 1 hour, depending on how large the potatoes are. When the potatoes are done when they feel soft or if inserted with a strong toothpick and it easily goes through.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat up a sauté pan and cook the bacon on medium heat to desired doneness. Many have strong opinions about how they like their bacon – limpy or crispy. I prefer a little crispy. When done, chop up the bacon.
- Take out the potatoes when done and let them cool a little bit. While the potatoes are cooling down, chop up the green onions and shred the cheese. Turn down the heat to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, add the butter, bacon and 1 cup of cheddar and sour cream. With a sharp knife cut each potato in half. Gently scoop out the inside into the mixing bowl. Don’t go right to the skin because you want to leave just enough to give the potato some support to hold the inside mixture.
- Mashed the inside of the potatoes and mix into the butter, bacon, sour cream and cheese. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and green onions. Mix well.
- Add the potato mixture into the potato shells. It’s ok to fill the shells a little over the top into a lovely mound. Top the potatoes with the reminder of the shredded cheese and bake for about another 15-25 minutes til piping hot. Garnish with the chives.
- Serve with sour cream and chives.
– When making regular baked potatoes I generally just put them on the oven rack, poke about two times with a fork to let out steam. I like slightly crispy skin. For twice baked I think it’s best to rub them with a little oil.
– I can think of many ways to make twice baked potatoes. The possibilities are left to our imagination.