Click the button above for video!
The recipe is packed with spinach goodness and flavor. The light flaky filo dough adds a little crispy crunch. This is a wonderful dish any time of day, whether for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner.
- 3-4 bunches fresh Spinach, cooked and completely drained or
- 3 10oz frozen Spinach, completely drained
- 1 Onion, finely chopped (not minced)
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 5oz container Feta Cheese, crumble
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp Dill
- Dash of Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts, lightly roasted
- ¼ Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 16 oz package of Filo dough
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a pie dish or baking dish.
- If using fresh spinach, cook the spinach until almost completely cooked and wilted. Whether using frozen or fresh spinach, drain and press as much water out of the spinach as you can.
- In a sauté pan, toast the pine nuts to a light golden color. Remove. Chop the onion and garlic. In the same sauté pan cook the onion until just translucent. Add the garlic and cook until just aromatic. Grate the parmesan cheese.
- In a bowl add the spinach and fluff up with a fork. Then combine all of the ingredients – spinach, onion-garlic mixture, parmesan cheese, feta, parsley, dill, oregano and nutmeg. Gently mix all together. Then add in the eggs and mix until they are fully incorporated into the spinach mixture. Add in the pine nuts and bread crumbs. Stir until mixed in.
- Bring the Filo dough to just room temperature. Be sure not to have the filo dough dry out or it will crack and easily tear. Lightly damp a paper towel and place on top. In the butter baking dish, lay one filo sheet on the bottom, lightly brush the entire surface with the butter/oil mixture. Lay another sheet on top and butter that filo sheet. Repeat using ½ have the filo sheets. Spoon the spinach mixture into the baking dish and evenly spread it around. Then lay a filo dough sheet on top and butter the top. Lay another filo sheet on top and butter that as well. Repeat with the remainder of the filo dough sheets. Brush the top last layer with butter.
- Place in the oven and bake the pie for about 45 – 60 minutes until heated through and until the filo dough bakes to a light golden color.