Click the button above for video!
I was having my two very good friends, Lisa and Debi over for lunch and I thought this was the perfect salad to make. It’s been awhile since I made this. Roasting beets is the best way to prepare them in my opinion. They keep their sweet flavor, they don’t taste watered down like boiling them and you don’t lose the nutrients. Like anything else, it’s best not to over cook them or beets will have a bitter taste to them. I like mixing up the different kinds of beets but feel free to use one type of beets.
I paired the roasted beets with oranges, celery for crunch, goat cheese and toasted walnuts all over romaine and arugula lettuce. A perfect easy summer salad to make. The longest time needed was roasted beets.
A nice sliced up baguette bread works well to serve with this salad.
We had a great time together.
‘Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Goat Cheese
- 3-4 small – medium size Purple Beets – wash and scrub, cut off stem and bottom ends off
- 2-3 small Orange Beets – wash and scrub, cut off stem and bottom ends off
- 2 stalks of Celery with leaves, sliced
- 1 small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet Navel Orange, peeled, separated and sliced or each piece cut in half
- or 3 to 4 Clementine type Oranges peeled and separated
- 1 small bunch Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- A couple of handfuls of Arugula Lettuce
- ½ cup Toasted Walnuts
- 4 – 6 oz Goat Cheese or substitute with Feta Cheese
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Orange Juice and 1 Tbsp Orange zest
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Drizzle of Honey, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wrap each beet, loosely in foil (not super tight). Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, depending on the size of beets. If small, check at 45 minutes. Beets are done if they can be easily pierced with a fork or knife to the center.
- Cool slightly and unwrap beets. Skin can pretty much be rubbed off because the stem from cooking makes it easy to do this. Slice each beet or cut each beet in half, then quartered them and cut them in chunks.
- Prep Oranges. Slice Red Onion in thin Slices. Thinly Slice Celery and chop up leaf end if desired.
- Rough chop Walnuts. In a sauté pan toast walnuts, on low, til just lightly brown.
- Chop up Romaine lettuce.
- Slice or spoon Goat cheese in small amounts and place in a bowl
- Preparing the salad. On each plate, place romaine and arugula lettuce and slightly mix together. Place beets and oranges scattered on the plate. No real order is necessary. Then the onions and scatter the celery on the plate.
- Add the goat cheese and walnuts. If using feta cheese then add that to the salad
- In a small mixing bowl, add the olive oil, orange juice, zest, balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. Whisk together. Add Salt and Pepper. Taste. If needed add additional salt and pepper and/or honey. I didn’t want a tart but also not too sweet of a dressing for this salad.
- Garnish with a few chopped parsley.