Click the button above for video!
I can’t remember not having meatloaf. I grew up with meatloaf. It was a weekly staple and my mom made it when we went camping because you can eat it ‘cold’ or room temp. You can shake up a traditional meatloaf with just a few adjustments to the ingredients. I felt like something pizza and said why not try incorporating pizza flavors in a meatloaf.
- 2 lbs of lean Ground Beef
- ¾ cup Pepperoni, chopped
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
- 3-4 Garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Plain Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ Onion, finely chopped
- 1 small Green Pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 4 tsp Thyme
- 2-3 cups Mozzarella, shredded
- 2 16 oz jars Pizza sauce or your favorite homemade recipe
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1sp Garlic Powder or 2 tsp minced garlic
- Few Red Pepper Flakes
- Preheat the oven 375 degrees. Spray pans .
- with cooking spray.
- Combine the meat and eggs together. Prep any of the other ingredients if needed. Dice the green pepper, chop up the pepperoni and finely dice the onions. I think it’s best to use your hands. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients, minus the shredded Mozzarella cheese. Form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf in the pan.
- Make a well in the loaf, leaving enough room on the ends, sides and bottom. Place the meat that is removed on a plate. Place about 2 cups or as needed of the shredded mozzarella cheese in the ‘well’. Take the meat that was removed and cover the cheese and pinch to seal on the ends and sides. Place in the oven and cook the loaf for about 45-50 minutes.
- Make the sauce: In a saucepan add the two jars of pizza sauce, tomato paste, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano and basil and a few of the pepper flakes. Cook on medium to low heat until the sauce begins to bubble. Cook for about 15 minutes until it thickens slightly and then simmer until the meatloaf is over of the oven.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let cool before placing on a platter. Immediately spoon the sauce all over the meatloaf and add the chopped parsley and if desired, some of the shredded mozzarella.
- Pizza Meatloaf goes well served with Amy Roloff’s little Kitchen Ciao and Pepper Pasta recipe (found at amyroloffslittlekitche.com), garlic bread, salad and/or green beans.
Enjoy ☺ gathering around the table