Click the button above for video!
If you like lasagna you’ll love this lasagna soup. You get the same delicious rich tomato meat sauce, the chewy pasta and the cheesy ricotta cheese mixture to top it off. You’ll be having lasagna just like you remember without some of the extra work and fuss of making traditional lasagna. I’ll definitely be making this soup often and I hope you will too.
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef
- ½ pound mild Italian Sausage
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 small Carrots, finely chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 can Tomato Sauce
- 4 cups Chicken Broth, or more if needed
- 2 tsp Thyme
- ½ tsp Rosemary
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Basil
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 6-9 Lasagna Pasta Noodles
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 ½ cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 ½ cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Basil, fresh, chopped
- Additional Parsley and Basil for garnish.
- In a large Dutch oven pot, on medium heat, drizzle a little olive oil. Add the ground beef and Italian sausage. Cook until just done. Remove meat and drain off any fat.
- In the same pot, on medium heat drizzle olive oil. Add in the onions and carrots, a little salt and pepper and sauté until just tender. Add in the garlic and cook until just aromatic. Add in the tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste is cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the seasonings and stir. Add in the fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and sauce. Stir and add in the meat. Cook for about 5-10 on low heat. Add in 4 cups of broth and stir and cook on low heat for about 20-30 minutes.
- As the soup cooks, add to a boiling pot of water salt and cook the pasta noodles until al dente. Then drain the noodles, reserving some of the pasta water for the soup. Using kitchen shears cut up the pasta noodles in big bite size pieces and add to the soup. The noodles will continue to cook once added to the soup. Continue to cook the soup for about another 20-30 minutes. After about 15 minutes stir the soup and if needed, add in more broth and a few spoonfuls of the pasta water.
- In a bowl, add in the cheeses and mix til combine. Add in the parsley and basil and combine.
- Serve the soup in big bowls with a dollop of cheese and garnish with parsley and basil.