Click the button above for video!
I’ve been to Ireland and visited Belfast at the time. I hope to go back one day. I often want to make something that is somewhat a traditional recipe and I found this one. It was so easy to make, tasty and full of flavor. The main ingredient in this recipe is to add some pickled vegetables. If you have some of your wonderful vegetables from your garden and like to pickle vegetables then this is perfect. Otherwise, your local grocery store has some good options. There are a variety of other ingredients you can also add to this salad. Serve with some good bread or try some good Irish bread.
Irish Pub Salad
(This is for 4 individual servings or a big platter)
- 4-6 Eggs, hard boiled
- Butter Lettuce – about 3-4 leaves per plate or more if using a platter
- Arugula greens
- Pickled Beets – a few on each plate, slice or cut in half depending on size
- Pickled Carrots – a few on each plate
- Pickled Green Beans – a few on each plate
- 4 Stalks of Celery -sliced
- Cherry or Grape Tomatoes or Roma tomatoes sliced in quarters
- English Cucumber – cut in thin slices
- Garnish – Parsley and Chives, chopped
- 3/4 – 1 cup of Mayonnaise or Plain Yogurt (Greek is too thick)
- 4 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Stone Ground Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Dash of Sugar
- 3 -4 tsp Tarragon, dried. If fresh, chop.
- Water, to thin the dressing is needed. You want the dressing to drizzle, not glob on the salad
- In a large saucepan, filled with enough water to cover the eggs and add the eggs. Gently boil until done, approximately 8 minutes. Cool.
- While the eggs are cooking, prep the vegetables, cut, chop or slice. Arrange the lettuce on individual plates or on a large platter, starting with the butter lettuce and then add a little arugula. Then scatter some of the sliced celery on the plate. Add a few carrots, then cucumbers, beets, tomatoes, green beans.
- Peel the hardboiled eggs and cut in half and then half again. Place one cut up egg on a plate or randomly place them on the big platter.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Drizzle over the salad. Garnish with a little of the chopped parsley and chives.
Options: For other ingredients for the salad other than some of the above
- – Pickled Asparagus
- – Pickled onions
- – Potato salad – plain or make Irish Potato salad using leftover potatoes
- – Cheese – cheddar or a hard white cheese. Think about using Irish Cheese
- – Meats – deli ham or turkey, rolled up
- – Thinly sliced onions