Click the button above for video!
I remember growing up with a version of this dish. I loved it then and have made it for my kids when they were growing up and here it is today, a slightly different version of it. I call it ‘Home Style’ because it isn’t considered true Hungarian Goulash. Which is more like a stew but ‘we Americans’ or I should say I, typically have ground beef and pasta. This is full of rich hearty flavors and it is so good. I hope you like this version of Goulash.
Home Style Goulash
- Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1-2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 3-4 Garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 ½ pound Ground Beef, low fat (85/15 or 90/10 I prefer)
- 1 4 oz can Tomato Paste
- 1 14.5 oz Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1-2 tsp Thyme
- ½ – 1 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 4-6 cups Beef Broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ – 2 cups favorite Pasta (macaroni, curly macaroni …)
- Shredded Mozzarella or Provolone cheese, garnish
- Parsley, chopped, garnish
- Heat olive oil and 1 tbls butter in a large Dutch oven.
- Chop the carrots, onion, pepper and garlic. Add the onion, carrots and pepper to the heated Dutch oven pot. Add a little salt and pepper and sauté until cooked
- al dente (not soft). Add in the garlic and continue to cook until aromatic.
- Remove and place in a bowl. Add in the ground beef and salt and pepper to season. Cook until just done and you do not see any pink. Drain off fat if necessary. Add in the veggies and continue to cook for about a few more minutes. Add in the tomato paste and stir until the tomato paste is stirred in and ‘cooked’.
- Add in the fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, the seasonings – paprika, thyme, caraway seeds, 4 cups of beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and cook on medium to low heat for about 20-30 minutes for the flavors to mix all together and cook.
- Taste the goulash and add in any seasonings and/or salt and pepper if needed. Add in the pasta. Cook the goulash for about another 20-30 minutes on medium high heat until the pasta is cooked. Add in any beef broth if needed. Stir and taste to see if any additional seasonings and/or salt and pepper is needed. Let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with good bread and a green salad.