Click the button above for video!
I usually don’t eat buffalo chicken wings a lot because they are either too spicey or messy. So I thought I’d try to make a buffalo chicken salad. I like spicy foods but not too spicy, if that makes sense. This salad has that nice smooth hot spicy buffalo chicken, blue cheese dressing and a whole lot of cool, fresh and goodness of the salad. I really like this.
Crunchy Buffalo Chicken Salad
Quantity depends on how many you want to make
- 2-4 Chicken Breast
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce, recipe below
- 1 Tbsp Chives, chopped
- ½ Tbsp Dill, chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups Panko crumbs, gives a more crunchy coating but use regular if you prefer
- Iceberg lettuce, chopped (or substitute Romain lettuce if prefer)
- 2 Carrots, diagonally sliced or peeler to create ribbons
- 1-2 stalks of Celery, chopped
- 4 plus Radishes, sliced
- ½ cup Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dill chopped
Options: Add in cucumbers sliced, avocado, halved grape tomatoes, crumble blue cheese
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce, everywhere I have read this is the sauce to use
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 tsp Garlic Powder
I omitted cayenne pepper but feel free to add it here is you like it more spicey
Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1 cup Mayo, or plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice, 1 tsp zest
- 2 Tbsp Chives, chopped
- 4-6 oz Blue Cheese, crumbled (I typically use Gorgonzola, no particular reason)
- Cream or Milk to thin out if needed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for the dressing. Mix until thoroughly combined. Use the back of a spoon and crush some of the blue cheese into the dressing for more flavor. Let the dressing set as you make the rest of the recipe.
- In a saucepan add the butter and melt. Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then combine all the rest of the ingredients to make the Buffalo sauce
- Prep the chicken. You can cook individual breasts and then slice or slice first and then cook the chicken. In a bowl combine the buffalo sauce, chives, dill, garlic powder and salt and pepper.. Place the chicken in the bowl and mix until all the pieces are well coated and let it sit for about 15 minutes. In a separate dish add the panko bread crumbs
- In a sauté pan, drizzle with oil and heat on medium high heat. Press the chicken into the Panko bread crumbs to coat. Add the chicken pieces and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes (depending on size of chicken) on one side and about 2-3 minutes on the other side until cooked all the way through. If cooking chicken strips this will take a little less time. Let the chicken rest before slicing.
- Prep the salad. Feel free to prepare in a big bowl or individual plates. Chop the Iceberg Lettuce. Slice the Radishes and Celery. Either slice the carrots or create ribbons. Chop up the Parsley (more if you want to garnish the top of the salad) and Dill, and any other vegetables you may want to add. In a large wide salad bowl or individual plates add the lettuce and sprinkle the rest of the vegetables around the salad.
- Add the sliced Chicken to the salad, drizzle the dressing over all and sprinkle with parsley and dill. Serve. This would go well with good bread too.
- You can either buy buffalo sauce but if you use it a lot why not make your own. It’s easy to make and this way you can control the heat. I didn’t add cayenne pepper because the red hot sauce already has it in it and it’s enough heat for me.
- I also decided to make my own blue cheese dressing but feel free to use your favorite.
- Another idea would be to serve the chicken in a Buffalo Chicken sandwich.