Click the button above for video!
One thing I loved about living on the farm is that we had a farmer right across the road that grew strawberries. I went picking there often with the kids. If you haven’t tasted a strawberry off of the plant you haven’t tasted a strawberry. It’s why I love farmers markets – lots of fresh fruits and vegetables that have ripen naturally.
Fresh strawberries that are ripe are like nature’s candy. So so good. In this crisp I don’t precook the strawberry or rhubarb. I find that the strawberries become too mushy and they hold their shape better when you don’t. I sliced the rhubarb thin enough so they have a chance to soften as they cook. And the crunchy topping is a nice contrast to the sweet strawberry rhubarb filling.
Country Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 4 – 5 cups halved strawberries
- 4 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup rolled instant oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon oe more
- ½ tsp nutmeg (if desired)
- ½ cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts (if desired)
- Preheat oven 375.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, 4 Tbsp flour, strawberries, rhubarb, lemon zest and 1Tbsp lemon juice until all the ingredients are mixed together and pour the strawberry rhubarb mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- In another large bowl, add 2 cups of flour, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and oats and with a pastry cutter (or food processor) and mix until crumbly. Add the crumble mixture all over the top of the strawberry rhubarb mixture
- Bake mixture in a preheated oven for 45 minutes till crisp is lightly brown and the strawberry rhubarb is bubbly. Serve with ice-cream or homemade whip cream.