Click the button above for video!
Cod is one of the white fish you can really do a lot with. It holds up well, mellow in flavor, flaky, healthy and delicious. If you want a quick meal, depending on how you prepare it, Cod is good to have on the menu. Like most fish, don’t overcook it because it will end up being tough and dried out.
Fish is a good change from other heavier protein meats like Beef and Chicken. Give it a try.
Cod Fish with Fennel in White Wine Butter Sauce
- 1 large Fennel Bulb or two small ones, thinly sliced
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 4-6 Cod Fish Filets
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, or more
- 4 Tbsp of Butter, melted
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 ½ Tbsp Parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 4-6 Thinly Sliced Lemon Slices
- 1/3 cup White Wine
- ¼ cup Plain Bread Crumbs
- ¼ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Dash of Hot Paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a shallow baking pan/dish, drizzle a little butter until the bottom of the dish is coated. Salt and Pepper each side of the Cod Fish Fillets. Bake for about 10 minutes.
- While fish is baking, in a sauté pan add 1 tbsp of olive oil and heat up. Add Fennel, salt and pepper and cook till just before getting tender. Add garlic and shallot and cook till just beginning to brown.
- In a small bowl, add the breadcrumbs, 1 tbsp of melted butter, lemon zest and ½ tbsp Parsley and mix together till the crumbs are moist from the butter.
- Remove the fish from the oven. Add the fennel shallot mixture and place around the fish, add the lemon slice around the edge of the fish, add remaining melted butter and White Wine. Spoon a tsp or more of the bread crumb mixture on top of the fish. Place back in the oven and cook for about another 15 minutes till fish is just cooked through to the center and breadcrumbs are slightly brown.
- Serve with a parsley on top.
- For a side, serve with rice, polenta or other favorite side dish. I often serve this fish with rice with sauté mushrooms and parsley. Cut Green Beans with some toasted sliced almonds.