Click the button above for video!
There is something about chocolate and coffee. The two just go well together. I’ve made the brown butter frosting before and I must say, when I can, I make it all the time. Putting chocolate with brown butter frosting felt like a wonderful combination. Give it a try.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Espresso Brown Butter Frosting
- ½ cup Brewed Coffee, room temperature
- 4 tsp Espresso Powder
- ½ cup whole Milk or Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 ½ cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 1 ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 stick Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Butter, room temperature
- 3 cups or more Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Espresso Powder
- Chocolate shavings, garnish
- Mix the espresso in with the coffee and stir to dissolve. Add the milk and vanilla.
- Preheat the oven to 350-375, depending on your oven.
- Mix the dry ingredients together. In a mixer cream the butter and then add in the sugar and mix until fluffy. Add the egg and mix until incorporated.
- Add 1/3 of the flour and mix until combined with the cream mixture, then add ½ of the coffee mixture, mix, then 1/3 of the flour, mix until combined, ½ cup of the coffee and mix and then add in the remaining flour.
- In a muffin/cupcake pan, spray the cupcake liners with baking cooking spray and fill the liners about 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking make the frosting. In a pan melt 4 tables of butter in a small saucepan and slowly cook and stir often until the milk solids begin to turn a nice golden brown. You shouldn’t leave the butter unattended or it may burn the butter.
- In a mixer combine the 4 tbsp soft butter with the brown butter and mix until smooth. Add the vanilla and continue to mix until mixed in. In a blow with the flour mix in the espresso powder. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the powdered sugar and continue to mix until all the sugar has been added. Turn the mix up until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- You can pipe the frosting or with a spatula smooth the frosting on each cupcake. With a chocolate bar using a peeler or grater and make chocolate shavings. Sprinkle a little of the shavings on each cupcake.
- Best when shared with family, friends or given as a gift.
Enjoy ☺ gathering around the table