Click the button above for video!
These blueberry crumble bars are like a cookie and having a piece of pie all at the same time. They are so easy to make and delicious. The blueberries are a burst of sweet and tart at the same time and the crumble gives just the right amount of crunch to the soft center. You can use your favorite fruit, like strawberries, raspberries, peach … to substitute for the blueberries. So go visit your farmers market and pick up a few pints of blueberries and make this crumble bar. I think you’ll like them. Here’s my version.
Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 4 cups of Flour
- ¾ cups Brown Sugar
- ½ cups Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1 ½ cup Cold Butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 Eggs
- Splash of Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Fresh Blueberries
- 1/3 cups Sugar
- 4 ½ tsp Cornstarch
- 1 Lemon, zest
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Make the Crumble: In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Use a pastry cutter or fork to break up the butter into the flour mixture to resemble rough sand. Add in the eggs until incorporated. The dough will still be a little crumbly. Press about ½ or 2/3 of the dough into the prepared pan.
- Blueberry Filling: In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest and juice. Gently fold in the blueberries to coat until mixed altogether.
- Assemble: Spread the blueberry mixture evenly over the pressed crumble dough, including some of the excess juice. Crumble the remaining dough evenly over the blueberry layer while you still see some of the blueberry filling.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes until the blueberry filling is bubbly and the crumble is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.