Click the button above for video!
You will like this lemony pound cake. The cake is not too sweet and has just the right sound of lemon juice and zest. It tastes like a little sunshine to me. I know corny right? But truly that is what this cake reminds me of. I made it in a bundt pan but feel free to use a loaf pan (may have to use two loaf pans). The glazer on top also has a hint of lemon from the juice and zest. The perfect amount of lemon and sweet deliciousness.
Best Lemon Pound Cake
- 3 cups Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups Sugar
- 6 Eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup Lemon Juice (depending on size of Lemon, 2-3 Lemons juiced)
- 2 lemons zested
- 1 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1 ½ tsp Lemon Extract
- ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ – 2/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp or more of Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Lemon zest or more
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- Sliced Almonds, garnish if desired
- Preheat oven 325.
- Grease and flour a bundt or loaf pan(s), gently tap the pan to get rid of any excess flour in pan
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt
- In your mixer bowl add the butter and beat until creamy. Use a spatula when needed to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the sugar and continue to beat until fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour until incorporated. Try not to over mix the batter. Add the sour cream until mixed in or fold in the sour cream with a spatula. Batter may be thick but do not worry. It should be a little thick.
- Pour batter evenly into your bundt pan. Using a spatula even out the batter in the pan. Gently tap on the counter to pop out any trapped air bubbles. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, test for doneness. The cake is done when it’s a nice golden color and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes. Using a knife, gently loosen the cake around the edge of the pan. Turn the cake out and then very carefully turn the cake right side up and cool completely. When I’ve left my cake in a pan too long it is tougher to loosen and get the cake out.
- While the cake is cooling make the glaze. In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest and lemon extract and whisk until fully mixed together and to the consistency you desire. If needed, add more powdered sugar or lemon juice. Drizzle over the cake. The glaze should slowly run half way down the cake. You don’t want a lot of the glaze to be on the cake stand. Garnish with sliced almonds if desired.
Enjoy … gathering around the table with family and friends